A good Academic Performance can get you admissions to the designated schools and also scholarships but it can’t ensure your entry in to US land.
The F1 student visa is the last step but probably most important one to realize your dream to study in USA.
For Every International student who is going to study more than 6 Months in the US has to obtain F1 student Visa Status
Step 1 Pay Sevis Fees
Every International student will get a unique Sevis number from US homeland Security. You need to pay Sevis fees of $ 200
Visit link for Sevis Fees Payment: https://www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/index.html
Step 2: Application (DS-160)
Once you receive your I-20 and pay your SEVIS fees you are good to go for F1 visa application that is for DS 160.
DS 160 form will ask you very basic questions
- Personal details
- University where you are going
- Who is funding you
- Your tentative travel plans
- If you have any criminal records
- Couple of contacts in India
- Contact in US ( You should Provide your University advisor Name)
Fill up this form with correct details be honest and brief. In the event you had earlier visa rejection even if it is tourist visa please make a mention. Once the form is filled check it once before you hit a submit button.
Visit link for DS160 form https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/
Step 3: Pay your visa fees and book a visa date
Once your DS 160 is filled please pay your visa fees that are 160$. You can pay your Visa fees across Axis bank counter or pay by Bank transfer or Paypal
Once you pay the fees you can book your visa appointment along with you biometric registration
Visit Link for creating your login for Fee payment : https://cgifederal.secure.force.com/?language=English&country=India
Step 4: Preparing documents
Remember there are 3 types of documents
- Academic documents :
- All your transcripts starting from std. X till your Graduation
- Your i-20
- Your GRE and TOEFL score card
- Visa documents
DS-160 confirmation page
Visa appointment confirmation page
Visa Fees payment receipt
Sevis fee payment receipt
- Financial Documents
Letter of support from the sponsor
Proofs of financial support as per i-20
Caution about financial documentation. Keep in mind that the financial documents should produce proof of funds sufficient to take care of your two years of education. out of which one year of funding that includes your tuition cost and living cost should be shown as liquid assets year two expense can be shown as immovable assets.
Step 5: Preparing for Visa interview.
You will get about 5-7 minutes to with the visa officer and in that you will need to convince the VO that your intent to go to USA is primarily to get quality education and not migration and if you are able to prove this then you will need to prove that you have sufficient finances to take care of your 2 years of costs
The probable questions for the visa will be
- Which University you are going?
- How many universities you had applied?
- Why particularly this university?
- Who is funding you?
- What do your sponsors do?
- What are your plans after graduation?
Please be thorough with the facts about the university and how to you are going to fund your education
So the key to crack F1 visa is
- Prepare all your documents perfectly.
- Study all about your university and the course thirdly speak to your parents about the fund arrangements.
- Lastly be very concise and crisp in answering the question. If you don’t understand the question don’t hesitate to ask again
Always remember the Visa office is not interviewing you to reject your visa but the VO has to ensure that you are the right candidate to enter in US land.