Scholarship to Study Abroad for Indian StudentsJuly 25, 2022 2022-07-25 11:58
Scholarship to Study Abroad for Indian Students
Scholarship to Study Abroad for Indian Students
Table of Content:
- Five effortless steps to score the best study abroad scholarships to save you time.
- What is the application program for study abroad scholarships for Indian students?
- How to boost your chances of receiving a scholarship?
According to the Cambridge dictionary, a scholarship is “an amount of money given by a school, college, university, or other organization to pay for the studies of a person with great ability but little money.” However, some scholarships are more flexible, allowing all students to apply regardless of their academic abilities or finances.
Studying abroad is like a dream for a lot of Indian students. Countries like the USA, UK, and New Zealand are undoubtedly growing hubs for Indian students. Apart from cross-disciplinary studies, international institutes and colleges also provide world-class facilities. By becoming a part of these institutions, Indian students gain global exposure and a chance at a better quality of education.
That being said, it is not an easy task to pursue as one of the biggest challenges is the cost of education at international universities. Besides the tuition fee, other expenses like the cost of living, visa fees, flight tickets, etc. burn a hole into your pockets. This is where a lot of government and private organizations offer assistance to deserving students.
Anyone who meets the application requirements can apply for a scholarship. Different types of scholarships target different students. Before applying for a study abroad scholarship, always check if you are eligible, the scholarship application deadlines are up-to-date, and if the scholarship is open to national students, international students, or both.
A common misconception about studying abroad is that it is unaffordable, but guess what? Thousands of study abroad scholarships and grants are just waiting for you to apply for them!
Five effortless steps to score the best study abroad scholarships to save you time.
1. Ask for Help
Firstly, do not be afraid to reach out to the people around you for help. Contact your university’s study abroad office, your professors, the financial aid office, and your academic advisors to ask about scholarships or grants they may know of.
2. Research, Research, Research
It cannot be said enough: do your research! The more scholarships you can apply for, the more financial aid you will get. You can start by exploring various scholarship directories. Besides this, several other resources, such as NAFSA, compile scholarships for study abroad students. Still, this list is not exhaustive, and there are many diverse types of scholarships to study abroad that you should also explore.
3. Tweak Your Resume
Once you have compiled your list of study abroad scholarships that you plan to apply for, you must work on actually being awarded the scholarships. A huge part of this is your resume! Be sure to highlight any international experience you have had, update all your recent campus activities, and try not to go over one page. Writing concisely is important.
4. Check Your References
Most study abroad scholarship essays and applications require personal references, that is, someone you have worked with in a professional or academic setting. This means reaching out to professors and asking for their assistance for most students. When requesting a professor to be a reference, or to write you a recommendation letter, always ask them in advance so that they may prepare.
It may seem tiring but apply for study abroad scholarships as quickly and thoroughly as possible. This bit WILL require considerable time and patience, but every little bit counts. Since you have already done a lot of legwork, your process should run smoothly. Even smaller awards all add up and ultimately will allow you to have a much more affordable and less stressful summer, semester, or year abroad!
What is the application program for study abroad scholarships for Indian students?
A typical application process looks like this:
- Register for the scholarship by completing an online application form.
- Check your inbox to make sure that you receive a confirmation email.
- Write a personal statement or essay. There are enough models on the internet. Refer to them. But remember to be original and use your unique experiences and ideas.
- Get official proof of your academic, athletic, or artistic achievements.
- Get official proof of your low income or nationality (for region-based scholarships). Get it translated if necessary.
- Proofread all documents for errors and send them to the scholarship provider.
- Submit the acceptance letter that you received from the university. You will not receive the scholarship without confirming that you will begin your studies.
- Now, wait for the results. If selected, congratulations, you are a winner! The university or college usually receives the money directly to cover your tuition (or a part of it).
Getting a scholarship is not as easy as it sounds. There is a cut-throat competition for getting a scholarship, especially among students who wish to pursue further education abroad.
How to boost your chances of receiving a scholarship?
Here are a few tips to boost your chances of receiving a scholarship.
- Thorough research on the available scholarships is mandatory. Students must remember to read the application form carefully before starting to fill it up. In case of any queries, you may directly get in touch with the scholarship provider via email.
- Candidates must be motivated and committed to their intentions of pursuing their dream. The scholarship committee highly values leadership and other collaborative skills. Try and display evidence of the same through your essays.
- Build a solid and personal connection with your mentors, as they are the ones who will write you a letter of recommendation.
- Your writing must be lucid and clear. Adhering to the word limit is extremely important. Digressing the topic is not recommended.
- Devoid your writing of any grammatical or formatting errors. Start with an engaging introduction to help increase the reader’s curiosity to know more about the applicant.
Scholarships are an integral part of education abroad. It not only eases the financial burden of the student but also helps them to focus solely on education rather than worrying about the means of repaying the education loans.
Hence, students must dedicate sufficient time to researching the best scholarship and give their best to get selected!